Re: Cross-staff glissando with crescendo and dynamics

From: David Santamauro
Subject: Re: Cross-staff glissando with crescendo and dynamics
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 12:55:25 +0000

So I figured it out based on:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-07/msg00266.html

Not an unreasonable solution, but I still don't quite understand the underlying issue.

Thanks

From: David Santamauro <david.santamauro@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, March 22, 2022 at 8:36 AM
To: lilypond-user@gnu.org <lilypond-user@gnu.org>
Cc: GMAIL <david.santamauro@gmail.com>

Hi, I'm not understanding the warnings I'm getting with the following snippet. I've included a possible work-around that is musically identical, but visually unappealing:

%%%%%%

\version "2.22.2"

\include "english.ly"

\score {

  \new PianoStaff \with { instrumentName = "Harp" } <<

    \new Staff = "s_harp_upper" {

      \relative c'' {

        \clef "treble"

        s1        |

        s4 r4 r2  |

        % work around without warnings

        R1*2

    \new Staff = "s_harp_lower" {

      \relative c {

        \clef "bass"

        f,1\p\glissando\<

        \change Staff = "s_harp_upper"

        bf'''4\!\mp

        \change Staff = "s_harp_lower"

        r4 r2

        % work around without warnings

        f,,,1\p\glissando\< \clef "treble" bf'''4\!\mp   r4 r2

%%%%%%

For the cross-staff I get 4 of these:

programming error: My pure_y_common is a VerticalAlignment, which might contain several staves.

continuing, cross fingers

Can someone explain what those warnings mean and how to code the cross-staff gliss with dynamics and crescendo. correctly?

Thanks