Re: Cross-staff glissando with crescendo and dynamics

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Cross-staff glissando with crescendo and dynamics
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 14:29:03 +0100

Le 22/03/2022 à 13:36, David Santamauro a écrit :

Hi, I'm not understanding the warnings I'm getting with the following snippet. I've included a possible work-around that is musically identical, but visually unappealing:

%%%%%%

\version "2.22.2"

\include "english.ly"

\score {

  \new PianoStaff \with { instrumentName = "Harp" } <<

    \new Staff = "s_harp_upper" {

\relative *c''* {

\clef "treble"

*s1*       |

*s4* *r4* *r2*  |

        % work around without warnings

*R1*2*

    \new Staff = "s_harp_lower" {

\relative *c* {

\clef "bass"

*f,1*\p\glissando\<

\change Staff = "s_harp_upper"

*bf'''4*\!\mp

\change Staff = "s_harp_lower"

*r4* *r2*

        % work around without warnings

*f,,,1*\p\glissando\< \clef "treble" *bf'''4*\!\mp *r4* *r2*

%%%%%%

For the cross-staff I get 4 of these:

programming error: My pure_y_common is a VerticalAlignment, which might contain several staves.

continuing, cross fingers

Can someone explain what those warnings mean and how to code the cross-staff gliss with dynamics and crescendo. correctly?

Getting cross-staff cases right is depressingly hard. I've opened
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6306

However, I think you need to clarify how you expect it to
render in the first place. Normally, consecutive dynamics
stay vertically aligned on the same baseline. Here this
does not work, because the mp needs to jump in the
upper staff. What would you do to typeset this if you
were LilyPond?

Jean