Re: partCombine misinterprets Solo

From: H. S. Teoh
Subject: Re: partCombine misinterprets Solo
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 09:52:58 -0700

On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 06:34:52AM -0400, David Santamauro wrote:
> I believe this is all related to the dynamics (more to the point, the
> termination: \!. If we forget the misplacement of “Solo” for a moment
> and observe the behavior of \partCombine with just the dynamics, it
> seems to have real difficulties with dynamics termination.

I use \partCombine quite extensively, and have observed that it's very
finicky when it comes to dynamics. Basically, before it can combine two
parts correctly, the dynamics must be identical in both parts. Identical
meaning that any dynamics like \f, \p must fall in exactly the same
beat, and any cresc/decresc must begin and end at the same place.  In
particular, if you have a cresc or decresc ending on a particular beat
in one part but not in the other (e.g., the other is silent or has an
unchanging dynamic like \f or \p), then it will *not* combine the parts
on that beat.

This applies not only to dynamics per se, but also to any additional
events in the two parts aside from notes, such as \set commands (like
\set Staff.midiExpression, and so on). The presence of any such commands
must be identical across the two parts, otherwise \partCombine will
refuse to combine it (and if forced to, is likely to produce incorrect
results).

Because of these issues, I have resorted to the hammer-fisted approach
of using \tag and \removeWithTag to "hide" certain things from
\partCombine or "inject" "fake" dynamics in certain places to make the
two parts match where they otherwise wouldn't. In the instrumental parts
the hacks would be suppressed so that the actual dynamics are printed
correctly.

Answer: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion. / Question: Why
is top posting bad?