split vocal parts

From: Steve Roth
Subject: split vocal parts
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 11:51:17 -0700

Greetings,

The "Hiding Staves" section of the Lilypond manual describes how to write two separate parts and have them show up as separate voices on a single staff most of the time, but split into separate staves at other times.  However, I have been unable to figure out how to extend this to work for vocal parts with lyrics.  When I try, I get this:

snippet-page1.png
Although it is correctly hiding two of the three music staves, it is still showing three of the associated lyric lines.  If anyone could suggest how to properly extend this example to work with lyrics, I would appreciate it.

To be clear, what I want to have happen is that, in systems where the two music parts are combined into a single staff, the two lyric parts appear underneath the staff; and in systems where the parts are on separate staves, each part's lyrics appear underneath that part's staff.

The Lilypond source for my attempt is attached.  It's identical to the "Hiding Staves" example in the manual except for the addition of lyrics.

Thanks in advance,
Steve