When the previous typesetter states "with pedal", what exactly does this

From: Peter Toye
Subject: When the previous typesetter states "with pedal", what exactly does this mean?
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 11:14:50 +0000

Ken,

'With pedal' means that the composer wants you to use the pedal at your discretion. Not much help to MIDI I'm afraid.

I suggest you play through the piece, noting what sounds good and put explicit pedal markings in, but this won't help the next performer who may  have completely different ideas. Very few composers of the Classical and Romantic eras use explicit pedal markings unless they want a particular effect.

Regards,

Peter

mailto:lilypond@ptoye.com
www.ptoye.com