Re: Help with ties and accidentals

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Help with ties and accidentals
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 00:12:35 +0100

KEITH LYNN <klynn47@comcast.net> writes:

> I am having trouble trying to produce a tie between a flat note and a
> non flat note of the same pitch.

That sounds like a misunderstanding of what "tie" means.  Ties are used
for connecting several notes of the same pitch into a single note of the
combined duration.  However, your problem might be a different
terminology/concept problem:

> For example, I want to tie a bes to a b, but instead of producing the
> tie symbol, it places a natural symbol in front of the second note.
>
> How do I stop that? Thanks.

This sounds like you are confused about LilyPond's input note language.
Notes of equal pitch have equal input note names.

A bes is not something at the notation height of b with a flat before
it.  A bes is something that sounds a half note lower than a natural b.
Regardless of how it gets printed.

So you probably want to write bes ~ bes here.  You might want to read
the LilyPond tutorial: it is intended to be comparatively compact
sequential reading introducing the main LilyPond concepts and get you
started.

--
David Kastrup