Re: LilyPond 2.23.7 released

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.23.7 released
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 21:34:56 +0200

On Wed, 2022-03-30 at 19:22 -0400, Joel C. Salomon wrote:
> On 3/26/22 17:36, Jonas Hahnfeld wrote:
> > We are happy to announce the release of LilyPond 2.23.7. This is termed
> > a development release, but these are usually reliable. If you want to
> > use the current stable version of LilyPond, we recommend using the
> > 2.22.2 version.
>
> In addition to the binary download now being a plain tarball, I note
> that the directory structure within lilypond-2.23.7-documentation.tar.xz
> is significantly different from what it was in previous revisions:
>
> lilypond-2.23.6-1.documentation.tar.bz2:
>       license/
>       share/
>               doc/
>               info/
>               man/
>
> lilypond-2.23.7-documentation.tar.xz:
>       Documentation/
>               <many HTML & PDF files, directories 00–ff, etc.>
>       input/
>               regression/
>       <many other files from the source code repo>
>
> Was this also deliberate?

No, that was just me not carefully checking what GUB did for the
documentation tarball and nobody complaining for the 2.23.6 release. I
guess GUB did a "make install-doc" to also include the info and man
pages? What we package right now are the HTML pages and PDFs, what you
used to find in share/doc/.

But since you are apparently a user of the tarball, may I ask which
formats you look at? Would you potentially benefit from splitting the
PDFs and having a smaller archive?