Re: LilyPond 2.23.7 released

From: Joel C. Salomon
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.23.7 released
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 22:37:18 -0400

On 3/31/22 15:34, Jonas Hahnfeld via LilyPond user discussion wrote:
On Wed, 2022-03-30 at 19:22 -0400, Joel C. Salomon wrote:
In addition to the binary download now being a plain tarball, I note
that the directory structure within lilypond-2.23.7-documentation.tar.xz
is significantly different from what it was in previous revisions:

<snip>

Was this also deliberate?

No, that was just me not carefully checking what GUB did for the
documentation tarball and nobody complaining for the 2.23.6 release. I
guess GUB did a "make install-doc" to also include the info and man
pages? What we package right now are the HTML pages and PDFs, what you
used to find in share/doc/.

But since you are apparently a user of the tarball, may I ask which
formats you look at? Would you potentially benefit from splitting the
PDFs and having a smaller archive?

2.23.6 had the same directory tree as all others, which is why nobody complained then.

I’ve only ever used the documentation tarball for Frescobaldi to point to. (And since it’s increasingly rare for me to be using Lilypond in places where I don’t have ’net access, I’m using that much less than I used to.) So yes, a split archive of only HTML files would be useful.

—Joel