Re: help for midi instruments

From: Guy Stalnaker
Subject: Re: help for midi instruments
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 11:29:11 -0500

Curious question if I may. Respondents in this thread suggest something is possible I thought was not possible. Is it true that putting on a whole note crescendo or decrescendo dynamics

c1\> ... \p

creates midi output with increasing or decreasing loudness for the duration of that note?

It was my understanding that the midi specification cannot do this. From: http://www.gweep.net/~prefect/eng/reference/protocol/midispec.html

Here are the possible values for the high nibble, and what type of Voice Category message each represents:

8 = Note Off
9 = Note On
A = AfterTouch (ie, key pressure) #i.d., attack loudness
B = Control Change
C = Program (patch) change
D = Channel Pressure
E = Pitch Wheel

Did recent versions of LP add some behind-the-scenes magic to simulate increasing and decreasing loudness for held notes (as, I believe, midi sequencers do)?

Or am I misremembering everything about how LP does midi (which is entirely possible LOL)?

Thanks,

Guy S

On Sat, Apr 2, 2022, 10:35 AM Gilles Sadowski <gilleseran@gmail.com> wrote:
Le sam. 2 avr. 2022 à 17:01, Kieren MacMillan
<kieren@kierenmacmillan.info> a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> > is there a way to create [MIDI dynamics], but then keeping them hidden on the score, leaving just normal dynamic sign?
>
> A perfect use-case for the Edition Engraver.  :)

What's the incantation equivalent to Knute's template?

Regards,
Gilles