Rehearsal mark questions

From: Evan Driscoll
Subject: Rehearsal mark questions
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 23:44:15 -0500

I'm duplicating a part that has a couple of different ways of indicating locations.

The first way is boxed measure numbers inline every five bars, kind of like how rehearsal numbers are often indicated, but the current measure count rather than a sequentially increasing number or letter.

The second way -- this is a theme and variations structure -- is roman numerals indicating the current variation number.

What would people suggest as the best way to translate this into Lilypond?

Can I somehow set it up to automatically do the measure numbers then use \mark to get the variation numbers? I think that'd be ideal if it's reasonable. (I found [1] as a past discussion of how to get roman numerals, though I haven't tried if the exact syntax still works.) Should I use \mark to get the measure numbers (how would I get the automatic numbering?) and the variation numbers another way? Use \mark for everything and just manually specify the string each time? Is there some way to overlook?

Evan

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/lilypond-user@gnu.org/msg130982.html