Re: German chords with uppercase bass

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: German chords with uppercase bass
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 16:11:51 +0200

Am 09.04.22 um 12:02 schrieb Thomas Morley:
Am Fr., 8. Apr. 2022 um 20:57 Uhr schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm
I really would
like to get German chords (i.e. H instead of B) with uppercase bass
notes – as I know it from all my (German) songbooks.

\germanChords uses `chord-name->german-markup' to print the root-name
(chordRootNamer) of a chord and `note-name->german-markup' to print an
additional bass-note (chordNoteNamer).
If you comment the chordNoteNamer there, the chordRootNamer takes over.

germanChords = {
   \set chordRootNamer = #(chord-name->german-markup #t)
   %\set chordNoteNamer = #note-name->german-markup
}

scm = \chordmode {
    c1/c | cis/cis
    b1/b | bis/bis | bes/bes
}

<<
    \new ChordNames {
      \germanChords \scm
    }
    \context Voice { \scm }

NB altered bass notes are now printed like the root, i.e. C♯ not Cis.
Already ok? If not holler.

Thank you! Since I don’t have altered bass notes in my current project, this would be enough. I didn’t think of those though, and it would be better to get "Cis/Cis" from \chordmode{ cis/cis }.

Imho, german chords in LilyPond are not correct and were never: as an
example, C♯ is never a _german_ naming

I guess, but I don’t have any serious musical education.
I can live with C# / Cb, but LilyPond displays the modificators very big, and that’s ugly. Might depend on the font. I’d expect them to be small and raised, like a footnote marker.

Also see my comment:
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6305#note_890059707

I agree.

Hraban