Re: DurationLine avoiding RehearsalMarks

From: Mark Knoop
Subject: Re: DurationLine avoiding RehearsalMarks
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 09:56:13 +0100

At 10:30 on 11 Apr 2022, Thomas Morley wrote:
Am Mo., 11. Apr. 2022 um 09:53 Uhr schrieb Mark Knoop <mark@opus11.net>:
At 19:12 on 10 Apr 2022, Mark Knoop wrote:
I'm trying to debug some issues I'm having with the new DurationLine grob.
Previously I've been using a TextSpanner to achieve similar results.

One issue is that DurationLine adds space at the left side of a broken spanner,
seemingly to avoid overlapping with a RehearsalMark. I'd like it to start
underneath the RehearsalMark, as the TextSpanner does.

The problem is illustrated in this example.

\version "2.23.6"
\header { tagline = ##f }
\score {
<<
\new Dynamics {
\repeat unfold 31 { s1 \mark \default }
}
\new Voice \with {
\consists Duration_line_engraver
} {
c'1:32\-^\markup "using DurationLine" s1*18
s1
\override TextSpanner.style = #'line
\override TextSpanner.thickness = #4
\override TextSpanner.outside-staff-priority = ##f
\override TextSpanner.Y-offset = #0
r4\startTextSpan^\markup "using TextSpanner" 4 4 4
R1*16
<>\stopTextSpan
R1

I'm able to remove the extra space with

\override Score.RehearsalMark.non-musical = ##f

but this has some undesirable consequences for RehearsalMark positioning. Is
there a way to set this only for RehearsalMarks at the start of a line?

Hi Mark,

DurationLine is designed not to be printed if breakable items at
line-end/start are present, like Clef, KeySignature etc.
I wasn't aware RehearsalMark is ofcourse one of them.
Currently I'm preparing a patch to disregard RehearsalMark.
Is your use-case urgent?

Cheers,
Harm

Thanks Harm,

I understand. My deadline is end of this week, but if you're able to give me a
pointer as to where to start on this then I can have a go at fixing it myself.

I've noticed a couple of other occasional (possible) bugs with DurationLine in
complex situations, but haven't been yet able to reproduce in a MWE. (Sometimes
stopping at the wrong place or not appearing at all.)

--
Mark Knoop