audible metronome in MIDI file?

From: Jimmy Wilkinson
Subject: audible metronome in MIDI file?
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 03:06:36 -0400

I’d like to hear a metronome in the MIDI file generated by Lilypond. The best
thing I can think of is to add a new voice that plays some high short note at
the beginning of each beat. I’m hoping that there’s a better (easier?) way that
I haven’t found.  It’d be nice if I could just ask Lilypond to do that and have
it affect only the MIDI file and not show in the printed score.

thanks