Re: audible metronome in MIDI file?

From: Hans Aikema
Subject: Re: audible metronome in MIDI file?
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 10:04:03 +0200

On 27 Apr 2022, at 09:06, Jimmy Wilkinson <the.doc@twc.com> wrote:

I’d like to hear a metronome in the MIDI file generated by Lilypond. The best thing I can think of is to add a new voice that plays some high short note at the beginning of each beat. I’m hoping that there’s a better (easier?) way that I haven’t found.  It’d be nice if I could just ask Lilypond to do that and have it affect only the MIDI file and not show in the printed score.

thanks

Jimmy,

The typical solution for that is an additional drum staff with high- and low woodblocks in parallel to the actual music as shown in a snippet of the snippet repository:
https://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=876

Its source code (https://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Snippet?id=876) also shows (in the comments) how to make that drum staff only appear in the MIDI and not in the printed sheet by using a tag for the ‘midiOnly’ drum staff

In my use I typically work with transferring final arrangements into lilypond code so that I know the bar-counts, so I don’t use the makeUnfold function defined in that snippet but just use \repeat \unfold as referenced in the comments.

Kind regards,
Hans