Re: Getting voices to merge in a complex measure

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Getting voices to merge in a complex measure
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 09:47:00 +0200

Hi Knute,

Am 06.05.22 um 22:57 schrieb Knute Snortum:
I'm engraving Chopin's Prelude No. 1 in C and I'm having trouble
getting two voices to merge.  It's the two lower d's in the last 16th
of the measure.  I've attached the source code and a picture of what
it looks like.  The second picture is how I would like it to look.  I
have notes in the source code that document some of what I discovered
fooling around with the notes.

Any help would be appreciated.

That seems to be an issue with the shifting mechanisms for simultaneous upwards-facing (\voiceOne, \voiceThree) voices.

Compare:

\new Staff {
 \voices 1,3,4 <<
    r4 \\
    { f'8 e' f' c' } \\
    { c'8 c' c' c' }

}

\new Staff {
 \voices 1,3,4 <<
    { g''8 g''8 g'' g'' } \\
    { f'8 e' f' c' } \\
    { c'8 c' c' c' }

}

\new Staff {
 \voices 1,3,4 <<
    { f'8 e' f' \tweak NoteColumn.force-hshift 0 c' } \\
    { c'8 c' c' c' }

}

I'm not sure if the force-hshift tweak is the definitive way to do it, but it also helps in your example.

Lukas