Re: Openlilylib

From: Ralph Palmer
Subject: Re: Openlilylib
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 08:17:17 -0700

On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 12:55 AM Andrew Bernard <andrew.bernard@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello All,

I've been absent from the list for a long time, but recently got CC'd
about an Openlilylib pull request.

I must apologise for never getting around to updating the list on the
Openlilylib project status. Some time ago I took over from Urs who is no
longer able to do the work for private reasons I am not at liberty to
share. All started well and I setup a Linux server and a Wordpress site
and forum for the project. Taking over the code repository it had long
needed a large amount of refactoring, which I started but this proved to
be a complicated project for reasons I need not detain people with here.

Then due to what can only be described as sheer stupidity I managed to
irrecoverably destroy my Linux server (it's a long story). What happened
after that is twofold. First, I am sorry to say that I was diagnosed
with the quite rare blood cancer Multiple Myeloma some ten years ago
now. It's fatal and incurable, though it can be managed well, especially
by the hospital here in Melbourne, Australia which has a world leading
research department specializing, amazingly, in the particular cancer.
So although I am doing well sometimes large software tasks become very
onerous and difficult, compared to before I became ill. Second, with the
difficulties mentioned, it seemed to me that I only ever got less than
half a dozen people signed up on the Discourse forum, and the project
seemed hardly worth the effort to continue, even though I do know there
are quite a few OLL end users. The sum of all this is that I have left
it dormant for such a long time.

So at present there is no repository owner to accept pull requests,

I am not really able to restart this project, and very happy for others
to pick up the ball. People are welcome to contact me for any advice.

Once again, apologies for being incommunicado, and all the best to everyone.

Andrew Bernard

Although I don't currently use OLL, I thank you for all your work on it, and I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. I hope you continue to have a productive, pain-free, and as happy a life as possible.

All the best,

Ralph

--
Ralph Palmer