An issue with kerning in a defined dynamic "sfffz" solved

From: Paul Hodges
Subject: An issue with kerning in a defined dynamic "sfffz" solved
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 20:36:57 +0100

Some time ago I wrote saying that I could not get the marking "sfffz" to kern properly.  Someone replied that it did for them, and I let it sit there, waiting until I needed a solution, which point I have now reached.  I have been slow and dense in recognising where the issue lies - I am using the BMusicFont (a version of Dorico's font, more recent than the "profondo" version).  The kerning works in Feta, but not in this font.

I have, however, managed an effective work-around:

      sfffzX = \markup\center-align\concat{"s" \dynamic"fff" \hspace #-0.5 "z"}
      sfffz = #(make-dynamic-script sfffzX)

The "s" already kerns ok, and specifying the "fff" dynamic gets the fully-kerned version of those letters.  The "z" doesn't kern nicely, but can be pushed back to the required position.

Paul