Re: ottava spanner terminates at the end of the note, not the end of the

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: ottava spanner terminates at the end of the note, not the end of the bar
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 09:54:36 +0000 (UTC)

Hello Ken,

As far as I know Lilypond's behaviour here is pretty much the standard
behaviour, as done by most Software, Editions and recommended by Gould. Thus
doing ottava markings like this should be considered uncommon notation.
Considering Tchaikovsky is not exactly modern music I think it is viable to say
that in this case it is your original source that deviates from common and
expected practise.

It is a known problem that while the ottava bracket looks like a line spanner
it is not a line spanner and does not follow the same interface. This means
that for properly implementing this you'd need to rewrite the ottava bracket
engraver.

But the question is whether you really want to copy your source exactly, even
replicating such cases of uncommon engraving style that might just have been
the result of someone who is not versed in engraving using some software that
does not handle such things correctly by default.

Cheers,
Valentin