Guile REPL Server

From: Hendursaga
Subject: Guile REPL Server
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 18:29:09 -0400

Hello LilyPond users!

I'm trying to start a REPL server[1] inside LilyPond's Guile interpreter, but I
can't get it to even load readline support. Note that I am running the
precompiled Linux unstable release binary, because I want to be able to use
Guile 2.

```
$ lilypond scheme-sandbox
GNU LilyPond 2.23.8 (running Guile 2.2)
Processing `/usr/local/share/lilypond/2.23.8/ly/scheme-sandbox.ly'
Parsing...
/usr/local/share/lilypond/2.23.8/ly/scheme-sandbox.ly:21:2: error: GUILE
signaled an error for the expression beginning here
#
 (load-user-init)
no code for module (ice-9 readline)

GNU Guile 2.2.7
Copyright (C) 1995-2019 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.

Enter `,help' for help.
scheme@(#{ g102}#)> (use-modules (system repl server))
scheme@(#{ g102}#)> (run-server)
system/repl/server.scm:75:36: In procedure make-tcp-server-socket:
In procedure module-lookup: Unbound variable: INADDR_LOOPBACK

Entering a new prompt.  Type `,bt' for a backtrace or `,q' to continue.
scheme@(#{ g102}#) [1]> ,q
scheme@(#{ g102}#)> ,q
Success: compilation successfully completed
```

Nor can the Guile debugger script run, either..

```
$ lilypond guile-debugger
GNU LilyPond 2.23.8 (running Guile 2.2)
Processing `/usr/local/share/lilypond/2.23.8/ly/guile-debugger.ly'
Parsing...
/usr/local/share/lilypond/2.23.8/ly/guile-debugger.ly:39:2: error: GUILE
signaled an error for the expression beginning here
#
 (use-modules (ice-9 readline))
no code for module (ice-9 readline)
/usr/local/share/lilypond/2.23.8/ly/guile-debugger.ly:40:2: error: GUILE
signaled an error for the expression beginning here
#
 (activate-readline)
Unbound variable: activate-readline

 Guile debugger for Lilypond
 For help enter (debug-help)
/usr/local/share/lilypond/2.23.8/ly/guile-debugger.ly:46:2: error: GUILE
signaled an error for the expression beginning here
#
 (use-modules (lily guile-debugger))
no code for module (ice-9 debugger)
/usr/local/share/lilypond/2.23.8/ly/guile-debugger.ly:49:2: error: GUILE
signaled an error for the expression beginning here
#
 (top-repl)
Unbound variable: top-repl
/usr/local/share/lilypond/2.23.8/ly/guile-debugger.ly:55:2: error: GUILE
signaled an error for the expression beginning here
#
 (set-current-module lilypond-module)
Unbound variable: lilypond-module
Success: compilation successfully completed
```

Any suggestions for getting this working? Perhaps the Scheme sandbox is, well,
sandboxing access? My system Guile 2 can load readline support, for instance.
The docs[2] don't mention an inability to access readline through the sandbox,
so I'm not sure where I'm going wrong here.

Thanks for any assistance!

Hendursaga

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/REPL-Servers.html
[2] https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/extending/scheme-sandbox