Re: Chord mode: changing N.C.

From: Stephan Schöll
Subject: Re: Chord mode: changing N.C.
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 09:02:44 +0200

Carl, thanks for your verbose explanation. This helps understanding Lilypond "under the hood" more and more!

Stephan

Am 17.05.2022 um 21:58 schrieb Carl Sorensen:

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 1:26 PM Stephan Schöll <music@gmx.ch> wrote:

Hi all

My impression that the mailing list has long delays somewhere seems to be confirmed... When I post to the mailinglist I don't get my own post in my inbox for a long time (an hour or so) I will keep an eye on that. Maybe it's on my side.

Carl, where can I find any documentation for noChordMarkup? The link you mentioned writes about noChordSymbol (1 occurence on the english version of the page). Even (my) Google doesn't find anything about noChordMarkup.

You can't.  I typed it wrong because I was working on my phone, instead of my computer.  It is noChordSymbol.

You can read (a little bit) more about noChordSymbol in the Internals Reference:  https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/internals/tunable-context-properties

https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/internals/chordnames

https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/internals/chord_005fname_005fengraver

You can see where the default value of \markup{"N.C"} is set here : https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/internals/score

It's a bit hard to figure out where the default value is set.  If you start with the ChordNames context you see that the Chord_name_engraver is part of the ChordNames context, and it reads the noChordSymbol property.  You can't find any interfaces to set the noChordSymbol property, so I just move up in the context hierarchy.

I don't need any other contexts to support a ChordNames context, so I just look at the Score context.

And there I can see that the noChordSymbol is set to "N.C.".   To fix it I can just set it to some other value, using the \
set command as described in https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/notation/overview-of-modifying-properties

I'm sorry about the confusion.  I hope this helps.

Carl