Fwd: Stanzas with different rhythms

From: Helge Kruse
Subject: Fwd: Stanzas with different rhythms
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 18:46:45 +0200

Betreff:        Re: Stanzas with different rythms
Datum:  Fri, 20 May 2022 13:01:10 -0600
Von:    Carl Sorensen <carl.d.sorensen@gmail.com>
An:     Helge Kruse <Helge.Kruse-nospam@gmx.net>

My way of doing it (based on the way it is done in the hymnals with
which I am most familiar) is not to use small notes, but instead to use
dashed ties.

\version "2.19.80"

\paper {
    ragged-right = ##f
}

% First stanza with correct rythm.
stanzaOneRhythm = \relative c' {
    \time 6/4
    \partial 4
    e4 |
    a2 a4  e4. 8 4 |
    f2. c2 4 |
    d2 e4 f2 d4
}
stanzaOneLyrics = \lyricmode {
    Es war ein Kö -- nig in Thu -- le gar treu bis an das
}

% Second stanza omitted
% Third stanza with correct rythm.
stanzaThreeRhythm = \relative c' {
    \time 6/4
    \partial 4
    e4 |
    a2 a4 e2 4 |
    f2. c2 4 |
    d2 \autoBeamOff e8 8 f2 d4
}
stanzaThreeLyrics = \lyricmode {
    Und als er kam zu ster -- ben, zählt er sei -- ne Städt im
}

displayedRhythm =  \relative c' {
    \time 6/4
    \partial 4
    e4 |
    a2 a4 \tieDashed e4.~8 \tieSolid 4 |
    f2. c2 4 |
    d2 \autoBeamOff \tieDashed e8~8 \tieSolid f2 d4
}

<<
   \new Staff <<
     \new Voice = "displayed" {\displayedRhythm}
     \new NullVoice = "stanzaOne" {\stanzaOneRhythm}
     \new NullVoice = "stanzaThree" {\stanzaThreeRhythm}

   \new Lyrics {
     \lyricsto "stanzaOne" \stanzaOneLyrics
   }
   \new Lyrics {
     \lyricsto "stanzaThree" \stanzaThreeLyrics
   }

HTH,

%%%%%%%

Yes, indeed it helps.

The idea with the NullVoice and independent rhythms is great. All in
all, there are 6 stanzas with 5 rhythm variants because of the diffent
numbers of syllables. Defining one displayed voice with the (potential)
shorter notes and individual rhythms for the stanzas gives me a very
good replication of the original score.

That's also the reason I don't want to use the dashed tie. Probably it
is a more readable form for rhythm variations in songs. But since I'm
unexperience with songs, I try to keep near the original.

Thanks,
Helge

Carl