Re: arbitrary repeat counter

From: Simon Bailey
Subject: Re: arbitrary repeat counter
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 10:26:49 +0100

Hi Jean,

On Wed, 1 Jun 2022 at 10:04, Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:
> How about doing it like this?
> < SNIP SNIP SNIP>
> <<
>    \new Staff \unfoldRepeats \part
>    \new Staff \otherPart

Yeah, I know about unfoldRepeats. But using voltas in a part where
they're not in a score is a big no-no. I realise it was given practice
in some editions, but it just leads to confusion and panic in
rehearsals. Also, simply unfolding the repeats does not solve the
numbering issue ;) (indeed, \repeat volta 8 doesn't indicate that it
gets repeated 8 times without adding some markup somewhere).

Gould says on repeated sections:
<<
Repeated section[s] in instrumental parts must correspond exactly with
the layout of a score. Parts must have the same number of notated bars
as a score and repeats must occur in identical places in all material,
[…]

> Sadly, the extending manual isn't overly helpful. That's
> the reason why I wrote
>
> https://extending-lilypond.readthedocs.io
>
> You may find it more useful. At any rate, it is definitely
> more thorough.

I'll bookmark that one right away. Thanks!

Kind regards,
sb

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of trombonists, for they are subtle and
quick to anger.