Re: arbitrary repeat counter

From: Simon Bailey
Subject: Re: arbitrary repeat counter
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 17:04:29 +0100

On Wed, 1 Jun 2022 at 16:14, Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:
> > 1. What is the duration of a measure dependent on the current time
> > signature?
>
> In an engraver :-)
>
> (ly:context-property context 'measureLength)
>
> You can't get it in the music function, since timing is not
> established at that point (just think that the time signature
> could come from another element of a << >> construct, for
> example).
>
> Remember, though, that the time signature might change
> in the middle of the repeat. Thus it will be a bit
> more reliable to actually acknowledge the PercentRepeatCount
> grobs and increment a counter whenever you see one.

I actually tried that and ran into scheme problems (incrementing a
counter didn't seem to work).

> > 2. How long is a given musical expression (in measures or beats)?
>
> (ly:music-length your-music)

I think I might use your engraver ;)  But I've definitely learnt more
today. Thanks!

I did make one small change to your engraver:

(if (> count 1)
   (ly:grob-set-property! spanner 'text (number->string count))) ;;;
<====== here

So that it only prints the numbers for repeated phrases.

Kind regards,
sb

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of trombonists, for they are subtle and
quick to anger.