Re: Why isn't VoiceTwo flipping the stems down?

From: Kevin Cole
Subject: Re: Why isn't VoiceTwo flipping the stems down?
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2022 10:04:15 -0400

On Sun, Jun 5, 2022 at 1:22 PM Thomas Morley <thomasmorley65@gmail.com> wrote:
Am So., 5. Juni 2022 um 17:32 Uhr schrieb David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>:

> Alternatively it may make sense to work through the "Learning Manual" of
> LilyPond once (or at least its first chapters) to get a first grasp of
> how things are supposed to fit together.

Currently "Learning Manual 3.2.2 Explicitly instantiating voices" reads:

Voice contexts can also be created manually inside a << >> block to
create polyphonic music, using \voiceOne … \voiceFour to indicate the
required directions of stems, slurs, etc.

I think this could be (mis)interpreted as: a \voiceOne _creates_ a
Voice-context with direction settings for stems. slurs. etc.
Maybe some rewording would be nice.

This was my misinterpretation.

And previous questions to this list about the "right" way to do stuff have resulted in answers that approximate "any way that gets you to the result you want. All approaches are good." But I will attempt, once again, a more careful read. (I did go through a good portion of the Learning Manual, but I'm missing enough prerequisites that I don't always understand what I'm reading there.)