Re: Horizontal spacing for a few measures

From: JxStarks
Subject: Re: Horizontal spacing for a few measures
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 18:26:37 -0400

Thank you! The "page-count = 1" worked for this example, so I'll keep it in my toolbox.
If I wanted to use the #(set-global-staff-size 19.8), where would I put it? I tried in the \paper { } section and LP told me it didn't belong there and ignored it.

Thanks again for your help.
Jerry

On Sat, Jun 11, 2022 at 2:17 PM David Wright <lilylis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
On Sat 11 Jun 2022 at 11:24:26 (-0400), JxStarks wrote:
> I'm transcribing some hymns for use in my church (because I can make the
> text larger), and I've noticed a problem. I like to make the introduction
> as \tiny notes, then change to \normalsize for the body of the hymn. When I
> first complete the transcription, the \tiny notes are compacted nicely, and
> the hymn fits on one page. (See Example-1) If I transpose the hymn, the
> \tiny notes become full-sized measures, and the hymn pushes one line onto
> the next page. (See Example-2).
>
> Is there a way to force a compact horizontal spacing for the first 2 or 3
> measures, then have standard spacing for the rest of the music?

I added  \paper { ragged-right = ##t }  to the top of your code,
copied the \score, and added  \transpose c ees  to one of them.
The increase in width corresponds with the space taken by the
key signature.

So it appears that LP wanted just a little more space to set your
hymn, and pushed onto a second page. You could try just replacing
my ragged-right = ##t, above, with  page-count = 1  and seeing if
LP will just manage to squeeze it in.

If not, a tiny adjustment to \tiny might help, or even a line like:

  #(set-global-staff-size 19.8)

(rather than 20).

Others may have some more heterogeneous solutions. These are final
adjustments, after you've laid out the lines of the rest of the hymn.
(For example, from what I can read of your hymn, I'd likely be
breaking the line at the middle of measure 6, and so on.)

Cheers,
David.