Re: Playback using Frescobaldi?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Playback using Frescobaldi?
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 18:01:19 +0200

Silvain Dupertuis <silvain-dupertuis@bluewin.ch> writes:

> Le 21.06.22 à 17:29, Knute Snortum a écrit :
>> On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 8:11 AM Kira Garvie<kgarvie@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>> I use Frescobaldi to make my scores, and is it possible to have a
>>> way to play the scores so I can listen to them? It would make my
>>> proofreading so much quicker!
>>> Thank you!
>>> Best,
>>> Kira
>> It's as easy as this: just put \midi{} in your score block.
>>
>> https://frescobaldi.org/uguide#help_ts_midi_generate
>>
>> Then in Frescobaldi, select Tools -> Midi and check Midi Player.  This
>> will play midi files from within Frescobaldi.  If you're on a
>> Linux-type system, you may have more to set up.
>>
>> --
>> Knute Snortum
>>
> It used to work on my Ubuntu installation.
> Presently, I do not manage to get it working from within Frescobaldi
> (the player appears but does not produce any sound), although I have
> both VLC and Timidity able to play midi files...
> Silvain Dupertuis

VLC has its own fluidsynth-based plugin.  Timidity is a command line
application that can also be started as a daemon.

You'll need to either start fluidsynth as a daemon to have it provide
MIDI devices, or install the timidity-daemon package (which does the
same but using timidity).  I don't think Ubuntu has some package that
would run fluidsynth as a daemon.

--
David Kastrup