Re: \repeat unfold has problems inside \repeat volta

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: \repeat unfold has problems inside \repeat volta
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2022 12:17:19 -0400

On Jul 2, 2022, at 10:55, Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:

> Maybe it's possible to introduce other syntax, like another spelling for
> \alternative, or just using \volta without an \alternative block (there are
> reasons why this doesn't produce volta brackets right now, but there was a
> back-and-forth in that respect and I don't recall how it ended up exactly).

I. Question for the original poster: There is a comment about ambiguity of
nested repeats under the "Known issues and warnings" heading in the NR[1].
Were you sufficiently aware of that such that if it had had been more verbose,
you might have been able to solve your problem?

II. You can disambiguate with braces as that note in the NR suggests, or with
other syntax:

    \unfoldRepeats \repeat volta 2 {
      \repeat unfold 2 {
        R1_"A"
      }
      <> % unfold piece to AAB AAC, not to ABAC ABAC
      \alternative {
        R1_"B"
        R1_"C"

III. It initially seemed like a good idea for \volta to create brackets
automatically,
but as time passed, I found that I was overriding that behavior in too many
cases.  I don't remember the specifics of the final straw, but it probably
involved nested alternatives.

There are cases where automatic brackets on volta-specific music outside
\alternative would be convenient, but there are other available ways to create
brackets with text, so I consider it less valuable than the features I am
currently working on.

[1] https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/notation/long-repeats