Re: grace note (first note) in a measure that follows an end of a repeat

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: grace note (first note) in a measure that follows an end of a repeat volta displays weirdly
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2022 13:41:00 -0500

On Tue 05 Jul 2022 at 23:56:36 (-0700), Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2022 at 11:43 PM Hans Aikema <hans.aikema@aikebah.net> wrote:
> > On 6 Jul 2022, at 07:25, Kenneth Wolcott <kennethwolcott@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >  However, the first measure that follows a repeat section (without
> > > alternatives) there is a slashed grace note that Lilypond displays in
> > > a measure all by itself, despite my attempts to place a grace note
> > > with a skip at the same location in a different (unspecified) voice.
> > >
> > > Is this problem resolved by specifying voices?
> > >
> > > What am I doing wrong here?
> >
> > See
> > https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/notation/special-rhythmic-concerns
> >
> > section 'known issues and warnings'. It deals with exactly your issue. You
> > need to have a grace skip in the other stave.

The example has only one voice in each staff, and it probably ought
to mention that the same method should be applied to all voices.

So the answer is that every Voice must have its own grace note or skip.

>   Thank you.  I thought I had done that :-(  I had placed the grace
> note with the skip in lh_two, but apparently it had no effect

Any voice that doesn't contain the grace duration will draw another
barline in the wrong place. In your case, lh_one still lacked it.

>   I placed a << {} \\ {} >> construct in the lh_one bar 10 containing
> the grace note with the skip and it works.

Adding more structure overcomplicates it. All you need in lh_one is:

  \grace s8 a4\rest <f bf df'>2 q4  | % m10

similar to rh_two.

>   Wow, intricate little bug, eh?  Guess it might have worked if I had
> used specified voices AND the grace skip(s).

Completeness and consistency.

Cheers,
David.