Re: Installing Lilypond 2.23.10

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Installing Lilypond 2.23.10
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 23:13:35 -0500

On Thu 14 Jul 2022 at 17:33:01 (+0100), David Sumbler wrote:
> On Wed, 2022-07-13 at 23:00 +0200, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> > Le 13/07/2022 à 20:26, David Sumbler a écrit :
> > > Thank you for that.  Yes, I should have noticed that the contents
> > > of
> > > the tar file were not source code.  As it is, though, I'm not
> > > entirely
> > > sure what to do with it - I guess that I put it all in a folder
> > > somewhere and then make a link to bin/lilypond.
> >

> > You just extract it somewhere and it becomes usable as
> >
> > /.../lilypond-2.23.10/bin/lilypond file.ly
> >
> > If you want to invoke it as "lilypond file.ly" without typing
> > the full path, you have to add the /.../lilypond-2.23.10/bin
> > directory to your PATH. One way to do so is to add this line
> > to your shell startup file (probably ~/.bashrc):
> >
> > export PATH=/.../lilypond-2.23.10/bin:$PATH

Alternatively, you could just set up an alias, like:

$ alias lilypond='/…/lilypond-2.23.10/bin/lilypond'

in ~/.bashrc (or use whatever command name you wish).

> I don't use Frescobaldi; I normally edit Lilypond files in Emacs.
>
> I moved the 2.23.10 folder to my home folder.  I tried making soft and
> hard links in my $HOME/bin folder to
>  $HOME/lilypond-2.23.10/bin/lilypond, but for some reason I couldn't
> get it to run, even though $HOME/bin is the first item in my PATH.  I
> haven't yet fathomed out why this was, but I worked around it by adding
> a direct reference to the folder as you suggested.
>
> A more serious problem (for me) is that Emacs could no longer find
> Lilypond mode.  So I moved the new Lilypond to
> /usr/local/lilypond/usr/.  Emacs can now uses Lilypond mode, but can't
> compile a file - it produces reams of messages (after much processing
> time), mostly of the
>
> ;;; note: source file
> /usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/2.23.10/scm/lily/display-
> lily.scm
> ;;; newer than compiled
> /usr/local/lilypond/usr/lib/lilypond/2.23.10/ccache/lily/display-
> lily.go

Those paths look odd. /usr/local should only contain the directories
bin  etc  games  include  lib  man  sbin  share  src
and /usr/local/bin/ is typically placed at the start of your $PATH
for you by your distribution. I don't know where /usr/local/lilypond/usr/
came from, but the rest of the path, share/lilypond/2.23.10/…, does
look like something unpacked from the .tar.gz file.

> kind, and then exits with
>
> ERROR: In procedure apply-smob/1:
> Wrong number of arguments to #<boot-closure 7fa410c90dc0 (_ . _)>
>
> Compilation exited abnormally with code 1 at Thu Jul 14 17:21:52
>
> I have spent some hours experimenting, but so far I haven't managed to
> get things working.

You haven't diagnosed why the dates have become screwed up,
so I would assume that your tree of files is now damaged.

Rather than mess with touch, I would remove the whole tree, clean up
all the various links you made, and then unpack the .tar.gz file
again, as suggested above. Unpacking it in ~/lilypond-2.23.10/
would be fine, and an alias will save some typing.

As for lilypond-mode in emacs, I would imagine that you haven't
yet carried out the instructions in §4.2 Text editor support
in the Usage manual, so emacs can't find the mode.

If your response is that it used to work, then I would wonder
whether you used to have a distribution-supplied version of
lilypond installed, and emacs was relying on that. In other
words, it was relying on lilypond*.el files in locations like
/etc/emacs/site-start.d/ and /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/
(or similar names), instead of those from any of the downloaded
versions you've installed/unpacked in the past.

Cheers,
David.