Re: Undertie in lyrics to show no breath

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: Undertie in lyrics to show no breath
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 22:32:16 +0200

Hello Mancunius,

personally I like to do such things like this:

\language "english"

global =
        {
        \key d \major
        }

soprano=\relative c'{
        r2 r4 fs
        b4 b8 b d2 ~
        d4 cs cs %\breathe
        d ~
        d8 cs b4 b as
        b2. fs4
        fs2 r2
}

startTie =
#(define-music-function (m) (ly:music?)
   #{
     <<
       \once\set tieWaitForNote = ##t
       \tweak staff-position #1
       \tweak transparent ##t
       c''-\tweak direction #DOWN ~
       $m

   #})

endTie =
#(define-music-function (m) (ly:music?)
   #{
     <<
       \tweak staff-position #1
       \tweak transparent ##t
       c''
       $m

   #})

\layout {
  \context {
    \Lyrics
    \consists Note_heads_engraver
    \consists Tie_engraver

sopranotext=\lyricmode{
O sa -- crum con -- ví -- vi -- \startTie um, \endTie
O __ sa -- _ crum con -- ví -- vi -- um
}

\score {
        {
        \new Staff <<
        \global
        \new Voice="v1"
                {
                \clef "treble"
                \soprano
                }
        \new Lyrics \lyricsto "v1" {\sopranotext}

The main problem here is that this will align the tie to the actual position,
not to the right/left edges of the LyricsText. For this it would be quite
simple to do some engraver magic that sets appriate hook for such alignment.

Cheers,
Valentin