Re: Ending second repeat on final \bar "|."

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Ending second repeat on final \bar "|."
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 16:11:34 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

(The mailing list is lilypond-user, not lilypond-users,
I've corrected the address so we're no longer off-list.)

> Le 03/08/2022 15:57 CEST, steve@linuxsuite.org a écrit :
>
> > This is easier in 2.23.x, the current series of development
> > versions, because there is a dedicated \repeat segno feature,
> > but it's also possible in 2.18 with \bar ".|:-|." (no need
> > to define it yourself, it's already predefined).
> Just compiled it. It doesn't work either. There are 2 sections,
> each a \repeat volta 2. The second repeat of the first section
> must end in a final "|.". , but also need the repeat sign at the
> beginning of the second section. It gets wiped out. tried messing around
> with it but no luck.

I'll admit I didn't test version 2.18 (and forgot
to update the version statement). It looks like that
bar line didn't exist at the time, so you need to
define it (as you had started doing in your original example):

\version "2.18.2"

#(define-bar-line ".|:-|." "|." ".|:" "")

\relative c'' {

\time 2/4

  \repeat volta 2 {
  c4 c | c c |
  }
  \alternative {
    { d b }
    { c b^"Fine" }
  }

  \break

  \repeat volta 2 {
    \bar ".|:-|."
  c4 c | c c |
  }
  \alternative {
    { d b }
    { c b^"D. C. al Fine" }
  }
  \bar "||"
}

Wouldn't you be better off with a recent version of
LilyPond though? LilyPond 2.18 is from 2014, few people
use it today, so you'll get better answers on mailing
lists if your upgrade to 2.22. The convert-ly program
can update the syntax of your input files automatically
(in Frescobaldi: Tools > Update with convert-ly),
usually leaving very little to be updated manually.

Best,
Jean