Re: polychords: what's the current state-of-the-art?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: polychords: what's the current state-of-the-art?
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 12:53:20 -0600

On Tue, Aug 9, 2022 at 12:29 PM Kieren MacMillan <kieren@kierenmacmillan.info> wrote:
Hi Jean,

> For the record, the GSoC code and the review discussion around it
> are found at
> https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/5224
> and in the two links to appspot.com at the top.

Thanks for that.

I've looked through, and I can't see where polychords are even considered. Maybe I just don't grasp how rich the semantics mechanism is? Happy to be shown how it makes polychord entry intuitive and easy for the user.

Polychords are not considered in the GSOC work.  But the idea of having chord semantics means that the polychord representation could be stored with the chord.  But we would need a polychord input syntax defined to handle polychords.

I consider the GSOC work to be necessary, but not sufficient.

Carl