Re: polychords: what's the current state-of-the-art?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: polychords: what's the current state-of-the-art?
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2022 20:50:31 +0200

Kieren MacMillan <kieren@kierenmacmillan.info> writes:

> Hi Jean,
>
>> For the record, the GSoC code and the review discussion around it
>> are found at
>> https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/5224
>> and in the two links to appspot.com at the top.
>
> Thanks for that.
>
> I've looked through, and I can't see where polychords are even
> considered. Maybe I just don't grasp how rich the semantics mechanism
> is? Happy to be shown how it makes polychord entry intuitive and easy
> for the user.

Hm, well the problem with meshing note mode and chord mode is that
tremolo notation interferes.  But durations are not inside of chords.

So <a:m c:>1 should be usable as poly-chord entry.  The representation
for the chord namer's sake (that relies on some additional info for
reconstructing something corresponding to the entry semantics rather
than just its constituent notes) is of course a different problem.

c/g could be entered as <g, c:> alternatively: basically anything with :
in it would continue stacking at a pitch not lower than the previous
one.

I _think_ that syntax should be workable.  No warranties, though.

--
David Kastrup