Re: Amharic

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: Amharic
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 09:57:24 +0200

> On 15 Aug 2022, at 23:22, Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>>> On my system (Ubuntu), your amharic characters are encoded in the
>>> Ethiopan pane (U+1200-U+137C) and they are displayed with the
>>> FreeSerif Font
>>
>> This works.
>
> Maybe your Mac OS Amharic font is using Apple-specific SFNT tables
> (not covered by the OpenType standard) that are not understood and/or
> supported by Pango...

It is a TrueType Collection, containing two fonts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueType#TrueType_Collection

I get:

% file /System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental/Kefa.ttc
/System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental/Kefa.ttc: TrueType font collection data,
2.0, 2 fonts, at 0x20 TrueType Font data, 17 tables, 1st "GDEF"

% file /Library/Fonts/FreeSans.ttf
/Library/Fonts/FreeSans.ttf: TrueType Font data, 19 tables, 1st "FFTM", name
offset 0x15e75c