Re: [was: Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 3.2]

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: [was: Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 3.2]
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 10:36:06 +0200

Hello,

Adding back the list in copy, please keep it so that everyone can participate and benefit from the answers in the future.

Le 16/08/2022 à 10:25, Jean Louis Thiry a écrit :
I just type "Frescobaldi" in the terminal. In the 'frescobaldi' folder there is actually a setup.py file. If I run it, I get this: heroes:~ thiryjeanlouis$ cd '/Applications/frescobaldi-3.2/' && '/usr/bin/pythonw' '/Applications/frescobaldi-3.2/setup.py' && echo Exit status :$? && exit 1
usage: setup.py [global_opts] cmd1 [cmd1_opts] [cmd2 [cmd2_opts] ...]
    or: setup.py --help [cmd1 cmd2 ...]
    or: setup.py --help-commands
    or: setup.py cmd --help
error: no commands supplied

very obscure to me!

The command provided in the INSTALL file is 'sudo python3 setup.py install', you're missing 'install'.

Before trying to install, what do you get if, inside the 'frescobaldi' folder, you follow the procedure for running Frescobaldi from this folder without installing, namely 'python3 frescobaldi’?

I'm not sure I understand the meaning of this sentence, is there a difference between 'folder' and 'directory'?

No :-)

in the 'frescobaldi' folder I don't see anything that allows me to follow a procedure to "run Frescobaldi from this folder without installing it".

I was referring to the first sentence from INSTALL:

"""
You can run Frescobaldi without installing. Just unpack and then run:

    python3 frescobaldi

See below for the required dependencies.
"""

If I type 'python3 frescobaldi' in the terminal, I get this:
python3 frescobaldi
The 'popplerqt5' module can't be found.
Frescobaldi can't find the 'popplerqt5' module. This module is required for the display of PDF documents. The module is in the python-poppler-qt5 package which needs to be installed.

Frescobaldi can run, but cannot display PDF documents.
Continuing...
The 'qpageview' module can't be found.
Frescobaldi can't find the 'qpageview' module. This module is required for the Music View and other viewers inside Frescobaldi, and can be downloaded from http://github.com/frescobaldi/qpageview.

Unfortunately, Frescobaldi cannot run without it.
Exiting.

Then you need to install those dependencies.

Before embarking in that: have you tried installing Frescobaldi from MacPorts? It's likely a lot simpler than doing this setup yourself. Install MacPorts if you don't already have it ...

https://www.macports.org/install.php

then type "sudo port install frescobaldi". See https://ports.macports.org/port/frescobaldi/

Frescobaldi relies on Python modules that have external dependencies, which makes the dependencies a bit complex to install if I recall correctly, so I think you will save yourself time with this.

heroes:frescobaldi-3.2 thiryjeanlouis$
In other words: nothing
I'm really sorry, I feel really ignorant and I don't want to waste your time with my more than basic questions (especially after 35 years of Adobe Illustrator on a daily basis)

No problem here at all. Even if you were ignorant, that would not be a valid reason for being sorry to ask questions on this list.

Cheers,
Jean