Re: ragged-right and \rhythm

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: ragged-right and \rhythm
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 11:25:07 +0200

> Le 17 août 2022 à 10:18, Lukas-Fabian Moser <lfm@gmx.de> a écrit :
>
> Hi all,
>
>> Am 17.08.22 um 01:23 schrieb Daniel Tobias Johansen Langhoff:
>> How can I have ragged-right = ##f not apply to \rhythm?
>>
>> --
>> \version "2.23.11"
>> \score {
>>   {
>>     \tempo \markup { \rhythm { 8[ 8] } = \rhythm { \tuplet 3/2 { 4 8 } } }
>>     \repeat unfold 8 { a'8[ 8] }
>>   }
>>   \layout { ragged-right = ##f }
>> }
>
> To me, this looks like an oversight in the recently added \rhythm markup
> command.
>
> @Jean, would you deem it reasonable to just add \layout { ragged-right = ##t
> } to the \score { ... } block in the definition of \rhythm?

Ouch. One purpose of implementing \rhythm with a special score-level context
(StandaloneRhythmScore) was to let overrides in \layout not affect \rhythm if
written for Score/Staff/Voice while preserving the possibility to do overrides
on \layout level by modifying
StandaloneRhythmScore/StandaloneRhythmStaff/StandaloneRhythmVoice. Obviously, I
overlooked that this falls apart for plain layout variables because there is no
way to know if setting them for \rhythm is intended.

That said, there aren’t that many paper/layout variables. Setting selected ones
manually like you suggest could be OK. Maybe also check what happens with very
long rhythms, do they get broken? Maybe try ly:one-line-auto-height-breaking? I
didn’t test anything (vacation).

Jean