Re: ragged-right and \rhythm

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: ragged-right and \rhythm
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 16:42:34 +0200

Le 18/08/2022 à 10:58, Lukas-Fabian Moser a écrit :
Hi Jean,

Am 17.08.22 um 15:14 schrieb Jean Abou Samra:
Looking at the Constrained_breaking class, I think just setting
ragged-right = ##t in \rhythm should be OK. Alternatively, if you
feel like it, introduce a variant of Paper_score::get_paper_systems
/ ly:paper-score-paper-systems (the function used by \markup \score)
that does not run Constrained_breaking but just spaces everything
on one line. (It does sound more complicated, although perhaps more
elegant.)

Should I leave it to you to create an issue and MR?

I can try this. Is it necessary to first create an issue (I assume for keeping track of the "motivation" for the MR)?

It's not strictly necessary, but with the current developers, most of
the time it is done. From my point of view, the main advantage is
that if your proposed solution is found to have a flaw and stalls,
the issue will remain open. Also, we tell people to search the tracker
before reporting a bug, and when creating a new issue, GitLab
will display "similar issues", including closed issues, to help
avoiding duplicates, so it could avoid someone reporting the same
problem while waiting for the 2.23.12 release or from someone
who didn't upgrade.

But if I am to take the route of messing with get_paper_systems etc. I'm probably going to need some help or at least bother everybody with questions.

OK, I looked at this code again, and I'm no longer convinced that
going this route would have a clarity advantage. Forget about it,
sorry.

Jean