Strange issue where lilypond runs a line off the page

From: Galen Hazelwood
Subject: Strange issue where lilypond runs a line off the page
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 16:03:48 -0700

Folks,

Since you've collectively already been a great help to me, I thought I'd bring one more issue I've found to the list. I've run into a couple of places where lilypond just doesn't want to break a line, even though it seems obvious to me that it should be able to.

One of the examples is proving very difficult to reproduce outside the context of 130 bars of orchestral score, but this other one is easier to excerpt. I can reproduce this on both the stable and unstable releases.

The first score block shows the issue; the third bar goes careening off to the right. The second one shows a workaround I'm using for now: combining the two left-hand voices into a single one. But this isn't how the part is actually written, and I'd like to be able to reproduce the original.

On the first version I tried inserting an explicit \break and got the following warning: "forced break was overridden by some other event, should you be using bar checks?"

I don't see what other event it could be talking about. I don't know if this is an actual problem, or my understanding of lilypond isn't good enough yet.

--Galen