Re: Placement of Coda

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Placement of Coda
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 19:15:11 +0200

Le 03/10/2022 à 14:44, Greg Lindstrom a écrit :
Hello All,

I keep learning and my score is looking even better! With help from this list, I separated the Coda from the main body of the score and even figured out how to suppress a time signature which was appearing at the end of the "blank" line between the main part and coda. The even better part is that I place all my "transition" code (the tempo, time signature and any other "common" code going into every part) in variables so all I had to do was modify this "transition" variable and every part was updated!

I'm getting some (apparent) inconsistencies with where the Coda sign is being placed:

Solo Euphonium (placement is great, maybe a bit high):
[image]

Here's the Bass Trombone part. Notice the Coda sign is much lower (actually touching the staff). This appears to be due to the Solo Euphonium having the 3 measures rest which must fint "under" the Tempo marking.
[image]

And the Eb Bass part is colliding with the clef sign. Is this due to a lack of key signature?
[image]

Here's the transition definition:

[...]

   \once \override Staff.KeySignature.break-visibility = #end-of-line-invisible    \once \override Staff.TimeSignature.break-visibility = #end-of-line-invisible
   \once \override Staff.Clef.break-visibility = #end-of-line-invisible

   \once \override Score.RehearsalMark.extra-offset = #'( -5 . -3 )

Here you are using extra-offset on the RehearsalMark. extra-offset
is for last resorts, and the reason is exactly what you are experiencing:
it acts after LilyPond has done all its spacing, just before outputting
the object, so it completely bypasses the formatting engine. Because of
the multi-measure rest number "3", the mark is placed higher by default
in the first case (solo euphonium) than in the others. Then you ask
LilyPond to put this mark lower, which causes the collisions. Instead,
use something like

  \once \override Score.RehearsalMark.padding = 0
  \once \override Score.RehearsalMark.outside-staff-padding = 0

padding is the minimum distance from the staff, while outside-staff-padding
is the minimum distance from any object, including the staff.

Best,
Jean