Re: Font path/finding issue on Mac OS Big Sur

From: Alex Harker
Subject: Re: Font path/finding issue on Mac OS Big Sur
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 18:59:02 +0100

Thanks Jean.

The code was al put together on an earlier version of Mac OS and I did not need to do anything further to make it work.

After some more investigation it looks like Frescobaldi is likely actually using a MacPorts install of lilypond (last time I was trying to get things working on this computer I think I tried a few things and then there were several months since I came back to it - as I had a home-brew install I assumed that was the one, as I often have brew installed, but not Mac ports, but I should have checked more thoroughly). So, for Mac Ports I updated port definitions and then the ports themselves and now everything seems to work (although the lily pond version doesn’t seem to have changed).

I now also see the fonts in the Document Fonts window of Frescobaldi, although they turn up as “Text Fonts”. I’m not sure if that relates to the issue of whether SMuFL fonts might work more generally (I have no idea what that really means, but in my case I am using only accidentals via code modified from ekmelily (http://www.ekmelic-music.org/en/extra/ekmelily.htm).

So - I am now back in the world of eight-tone accidentals…

Apologies for the noise and thanks for those who offered assistance.

Alex