Re: another 'wrong type argument' error

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: another 'wrong type argument' error
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 11:37:08 +0200

Am Mo., 10. Okt. 2022 um 21:04 Uhr schrieb Kieren MacMillan
<kieren@kierenmacmillan.info>:

> Hi Jean,
>
> > This looks like you have done something like
> > { c'\custdyn "p" }
> > instead of
> > { c'\custdyn "{p}" }
>
> Hmmm… the only three calls I have look like the second (correct) version, not
> the first. But switching those three custom dynamics to simple/native
> dynamics eliminates the error, so it's definitely something in that code
> that's breaking.
>
> Because I need to keep ploughing forward on this score, I'm going to bail
> here and just leave them as simple dynamics… When I can take a breath (next
> week?), I'll return and see if I/we can figure out the real root of the
> problem.
>
> Thank you so much for all your help!
> Kieren.

Hi Kieren,

sorry for the delay...
I wrote the original code for 2.19.65 and overlooked the bug you
encountered - it happens if the string-argument is plain text, i.e. no
dynamics are present, _and_ no spaces occur like "laut", "sehr laut"
would have worked.
Furhermore there were a guile1/guile2 problem: `split-at' behaves
differently now.
The definition for `note-column::main-extent' is now superflous, can
be retrieved by calling NoteColumn.main-extent.

Attached you'll find the newest code.
You need to rename the function `dynamicH' to `custdyn'

Though, there's currently a patch waiting for 2.25. deleting the
\simple-markup-command.
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/1650
If merged it will break the coding again.
While it is possible to work around I'll object to this change.

Cheers,
  Harm