Re: Legacy scripted installation, was Re: LilyPond 2.23.14

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Re: Legacy scripted installation, was Re: LilyPond 2.23.14
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 06:46:22 -0700

On Tue, Oct 18, 2022 at 11:21 AM David Wright <lilylis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue 18 Oct 2022 at 05:15:31 (-0400), Craig Bakalian wrote:
> >
> > And could we please release the latest greatest lilypond as a shell
> > script like it used to be released.
>
> You seemed to be happy enough when you wrote
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2022-09/msg00071.html
>
> Can you tell us what has changed. Is it the shell script itself that
> you miss, or the attempt to download the documentation, or the
> uninstall script? Unless you tell us what you miss, there's not much
> more that can be done except to say "Ain't gonna happen", aka WONTFIX.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

I'll jump in here if it's all right.  Craig, did you notice that
there's an installation[1] page that you can get to from the download
page?  I missed that at first.  The command-line installation
instructions are rather terse, but I guess the assumption is that if
you're using the command-line, you know how to run tar, mv directories
around, add things to the PATH, etc.  But is that a good assumption?

I do think the tarball could benefit from having a README file with
even just this text:

"Installation instructions can be found at
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/learning/installing.";

...or even the text from the command-line instructions.

[1] https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/learning/installing

--
Knute Snortum