Re: Appoggiatura in bass clef at start of piece

From: Peter Mitton
Subject: Re: Appoggiatura in bass clef at start of piece
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 10:17:51 +0100

Thanks, Harm,

Sorry, I seemed to have missed out the most important part of the challenge! Apologies. This is a simplified extract of the lower staff from the start of a two staff piano arrangement that requires 4 voices.

It’s the addition of the second voice that causes the additional treble clef to appear,  with a single voice there is no problem. But when you add a second…

\version "2.22.2"

\new Staff {
  <<
    \time 6/8
    \clef bass
    \new Voice = "a" {
      \voiceFour
                                %\time 6/8 \clef bass
      \appoggiatura c,8 c2. \appoggiatura c,8 c2.
    }
    \new Voice = "b" {
      \voiceThree
      \grace s8  e2. \grace s8 e2.

It renders as the attached file.

Which is not what I expect or want. Even an empty second voice with no notes also displays the extra clef and ledger lines and misplaces the grace note before the time signature.

The documentation on Grace notes says "Grace note synchronization can also lead to surprises. Staff notation, such as key signatures, bar lines, etc., are also synchronized. “ which I take as developer-speak for “Here be dragons”.

Thanks for any assistance,

Pete