Polyrhythmic music

From: Paul Hodges
Subject: Polyrhythmic music
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 11:10:05 +0100

This is not (yet) a specific query, I'm afraid.  My new project is going to push my usage of LilyPond way beyond what I've done up till now.  I have already found solutions for a couple of new challenges, and a partial solution to a third.

But my main issue is polyrhythms.  There are two instruments, and some of the time they play in sync, with the same barring, and barlines which join across the system; then at other times they separate, and may play a section at different speeds and barring, coming together again later.  I know that I have to move the Timing_translator engraver from Score context to Staff, but so far my searching has not shown me how to work further with this.  How, for instance, do I indicate the points at which the parts meet (within a polyrhythmic section), and how to change between synchronised and polyrhythmic sections?

Does anyone have any hints, guidance, or experience which might help get me started?  I have attached a bad scan of a couple of lines of the MS to give an idea of what I'm facing.

Thanks,
Paul