Flexible lyric alignment

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Flexible lyric alignment
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 07:46:48 -0700

Greetings, all!

It's been some time since I've posted anything here, but a recent project has caused me to jump back into creating scores. I'm working on a relatively simple choral piece with piano accompaniment and seeing all the ways the lyric syllables mess up the horizontal spacing is... tolerable, but somewhat irritating.

To my question, then. I found the LSR snippet that allows the spacing to ignore punctuation (thanks so much to everyone who participated in making that work well!) and that certainly helps. My question takes alignment to the next level. Since lyrics more likely than not are the culprit for bad music spacing, has anyone found a way to make the X-alignment more flexible so the music spacing is *better* preserved? I'm not asking for perfect note spacing preservation, just less bad. Longer syllables/words are, of course, more problematic (like in the attached picture).

In my head, I envision a springs-and-rods type of function for the lyric's attachment (self-alignment-X?) that increases in "stretchability" as the syllable length gets larger so that it is more likely to move than others. Thus, enabling the notes to be more correctly spaced.

Thoughts? I'm afraid my own Scheme skills aren't up to the task for this. I'm also fully aware that I can adjust this manually at the problematic places. I'd like to avoid that if possible, but will do that if needed.

Happy holidays,
Abraham