Re: ghostscript 9.56.1 in lilypond 2.23.14 no longer finds font Helvetic

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: ghostscript 9.56.1 in lilypond 2.23.14 no longer finds font Helvetica-Bold, but gs in 2.22.1 did
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 12:55:20 +0100

> On 13 Nov 2022, at 10:54, Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:

>>> This example works in LilyPond 2.23.80 (MacPorts), on MacOS 13.0.
>>
>> Interesting.  This must mean that Helvetica-Bold is available as a system
>> font on MacOS, so even our stripped down ghostscript can find it there.  Not
>> so on my Windows 10.
>
> No; as far as I understand, it is because Hans installed LilyPond from
> MacPorts, which comes with a fully functional Ghostscript, including its own
> set of fonts.

One needs both the full Ghostscript and the Helvetica font. In my installation
on MacOS, I have Ghostscript from both MacPorts and MacTex (TeXLive 2022), and
it is not clear which one that MacPorts lilypond-devel is choosing. Properly it
should be the one from MacPorts, but the one from MacTex is first in my PATH,
as I set /use/local/bin/ before /opt/local/bin/. There was an issue with the
installer into /opt/lilypond/ that I made from MacPorts, in that some
components where selected from the PATH, instead from within the installation
tree.