Re: Multi-measure spacer rests

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Multi-measure spacer rests
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 23:22:33 +0100

Hi Jean,

Alternatively, you could attach the dynamic to a so-called
"empty chord". The above is equivalent to

\version "2.23.80"

\new Dynamics {
  s1 \p
  s \>
  s \!
  s1*6
  <>\mf
  s1
}

I think we should advocate the "empty chord" style even more consistently (and I have a long standing plan of going through the documentation and doing this - actually I do not even remember whether I already started this, I'm so out of touch with the general improvements I wanted to tackle): To me it just seems very non-intuitive to write "print a piano, then skip a bar" as "s1 \p2" meaning "before skipping a bar, add a piano".

So, for Sámuel: My bet would be

\version "2.23.80"

\new Dynamics {
  <>\p s1