Re: Multi-measure spacer rests

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Multi-measure spacer rests
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 00:40:21 +0100

Le 14/11/2022 à 00:24, Knute Snortum a écrit :
My two cents on the subject: using empty chords to put hairpins on is
not the same as using spacers.  Consider this MWE:

\version "2.23.81"

\paper {
   indent = 0
}

<<
   {
     c''4 4 4 4
     4 4 4 4
   }
   \\
   {
     <>\< s1 <>\!
     <>\< s1 <>\!
   }

<<
   {
     c''4 4 4 4
     4 4 4 4
   }
   \\
   {
     s2..\< s8\!
     s2..\< s8\!
   }

That produces the output as shown by the image attached. Notice that
hairpins created with empty chords go a little beyond the right side
of the last note, where the hairpins created with spacers alone stop
on the last note.  This seems cleaner to my eye.

Lukas and Kieren are talking about different input methods
for the same thing. Your first example is equivalent to

{
  \voiceOne
  c''4\< 4 4 4
  4\> 4 4 4 <>\!
}

i.e., the hairpins conceptually extend over the bar lines, and
graphically stop over the bar lines because Hairpin has
to-barline = #t by default. This is completely different
from your second example. The latter expressed with empty
chords would be more like

<<
  {
    c''4 4 4 4