Re: LilyPond 2.23.81

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.23.81
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 21:30:35 +0100

On Sun, 2022-11-13 at 13:36 -0800, Knute Snortum wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 13, 2022 at 9:38 AM Jonas Hahnfeld via LilyPond user
> discussion <lilypond-user@gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > We are happy to announce the release of LilyPond 2.23.81. This is the
> > second release candidate towards the next stable version 2.24.0
> > expected in December. Please test your scores with this version and
> > report back the experience as well as any problems you encounter.
> > Please refer to the Installing section in the Learning Manual for
> > instructions how to set up the provided binaries:
> > https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/learning/installing
>
> I successfully ran a seven movement piece with 2.23.81 in both Linux
> 22.04 and Windows 11.
>
> Just a note on the Windows side.  Norton did not like lilypond.exe at
> all and Windows didn't either.  Lots of blocking the program from
> writing.  I don't know if anything can be done on the LilyPond side.
> Do people register their programs and certify them or something?

It is possible to sign executables, but a) I don't know exactly how
that works and b) whether we would need to buy a certificate for that.
It's somewhere at the bottom of my list, but unless I am forced to
investigate it's not a priority for me. Same applies to macOS btw, but
knowing Apple for that we need to sign up for the Developer program for
sure...

Jonas