Re: Different default arpeggio positions

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Different default arpeggio positions
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 19:53:51 +0100

Am Sa., 3. Dez. 2022 um 16:35 Uhr schrieb Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr>:

> Le 03/12/2022 à 15:58, Thomas Morley a écrit :
> > Ofcourse. Though, it's another  thing a (probably new) user has to
> > learn, maybe scaring him/her away.
>

> For someone coming from a language like Haskell, Rust,
> OCaml or now even Python, pattern matching will feel
> already familiar.
>
> Someone new to Scheme programming might be glad to discover a
> construct that is easier to remember than functions with cryptic
> names like "car", "cdr" and "cadadr".
>
> <shrug> It's a matter of point of view ...

Yep, my point of view is highly influenced by my own history:
Before I started with LilyPond I had no programming knowledge.
No Haskell, Perl, Python or whatever.
I started to learn scheme because LilyPond not always did what I
wanted her to do...

There may be more users out there with zero programming experience.
My whole point is to not increase the hurdles for them.

Other users are experienced programmers.

As always we need to strike a balance between all of them.

Best,
  Harm